RedGameFreaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official IRC Channel of RGFHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the RGF Forums
Hey, we're working on the site again, so please do excuse the mess.
IRC is no longer up - It'll be moved here sometime soon.
GTA:IV modding support, and section coming soon.
Other cool sites
Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? RGFnewBanner-1Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? Levels4You-ButtonRedfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? VoltzRedfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? Ffafflink
Similar topics
Index
Site
Home
IRC Chat

Forum

Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Angel-of-apocalyps
Noobie
Noobie

Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? Empty
PostSubject: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Has anyone experience with installing redfaction 1 on Ubuntu ?
Just that I have a 3000 euro server lying around from work that is no longer used, so I would use it to put up a dedicated server.
It Has a xeon processor and 8 gb ddr2 memory.

Greetz,
Angel
Back to top Go down
digital_ruler
Regular
Regular
digital_ruler

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 1:19 pm

It works under WINE.

You could also run a Windows VM inside the Ubuntu host OS.
Back to top Go down
Burner
Admin
Admin
Burner

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:25 am

I have tried running rf in linux several distros never could get it always close but never got it to work I am on ubuntu now on my netbook would like to see if it works now I may try it again.

As a side note I was always told you could not run a dedi in linux I may be wrong but thats what I was told.
Back to top Go down
digital_ruler
Regular
Regular
digital_ruler

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 am

Natively, there is no linux dedicated server.

RF doesn't run too well natively on Windows netbooks, so I can't imagine how it would run under WINE Razz
Back to top Go down
Elements MOD RF
Regular
Regular
Elements MOD RF

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 10:48 am

i have had experience running RF on Linux under wine. It all relies on what hardware you have, and what distro. Red faction was originally designed to run on Linux, and if you find the right version of it... will run quite well. Also.... running RF in wine using lazy ban works well too. Pure faction doesn't seem to like running in full screen without having a window border around it, but lazy ban on the other hand run without a border and looks just like RF in windows.

if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I have Linux and windows on my machines... so ill be willing to test things out and figure out how they work in wine under Linux, anything, don't hesitate to ask me about it.... i will be more than willing to help. And i have gotten Linux to run a ded server in Linux. You just have to have your ports forwarded, and make sure no firewalls will try and block Linux. I have my router firewalls set to off, but i also have very high security within my machines.... so i don't ever worry about hacker attacks. And some distros of Linux have firewalls built into them, so be sure to either configure them...or if it doesn't have a firewall... don't worry about viruses or hacker attacks. that is pretty much impossible in Linux. but, like i said any questions about this or anything relating to Linux i might be able to help, or test some things out for you. And... i did this in a rush, so it might not make complete sense lol.
Back to top Go down
http://gamersheaven.forumotions.net/forum.htm
digital_ruler
Regular
Regular
digital_ruler

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Elements MOD RF wrote:
Red faction was originally designed to run on Linux
What?
Back to top Go down
Burner
Admin
Admin
Burner

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 1:12 am

LOL nah my first attempt was running RF on my hp 64 bit comp before i fried it lol just got the netbook for work its a bit easier to carry around but suprisingly urban terror runs great on it in linux on it.
Back to top Go down
Elements MOD RF
Regular
Regular
Elements MOD RF

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Well, red faction after it came out for ps2, a few years latter was released for PC. But, at that time it was designed for linux. Red faction does have linux kernel... and that is why with the right version runs very smoothly on linux. It runs fine on windows, but it wasn't fully designed for it.
Back to top Go down
digital_ruler
Regular
Regular
digital_ruler

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Elements MOD RF wrote:
Well, red faction after it came out for ps2, a few years latter was released for PC.
Few years? More like a few months.

Elements MOD RF wrote:
But, at that time it was designed for linux.
I find it hard to believe that Volition would have coded RF to run on Linux. They didn't even have any plans for a Linux dedicated server, let alone game client.

Elements MOD RF wrote:
Red faction does have linux kernel...
What? Do you even know what a kernel is? Applications don't have kernels, operating systems do.

I understand that RF might run well in Linux under a compatibility layer, but there's no evidence that RF was ever intended to be run natively on Linux, and I can understand why. The penetration of Linux on the desktop in 2001 was minuscule compared to what it is today (not like it's much today anyways).

Valve has always tried to make a Linux dedicated server available for their games, which I feel is a good choice. However, most game developers share the viewpoint that developing games for Linux is a waste of resources.
Back to top Go down
Elements MOD RF
Regular
Regular
Elements MOD RF

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 5:43 pm

I do agree with you in part. But i was trying to say that RF was designed to natively run on linux back when it was released for PC. I don't say that your wrong, and i don't say that im right. My sources probably differ from what your sources are, and they sometimes aren't completely reliable. you also have years of experience on me, and i respect that. But i do have to disagree with you when you said "The penetration of Linux on the desktop in 2001 was minuscule compared to what it is today (not like it's much today anyways)." Linux is used on desktops all over the place. Most search engines use linux for their servers.... and most all of my friends have used linux for years. Most businesses prefer linux over windows. Linux is practically like mac. Except linux is a free open source operating system. Even i used to use linux on a daily basis. Linux its self is so much better than windows. It cannot get a virus, and all of the files are protected by a set admins password the user specifies. Linux also doesn't have a registry. A registry is completely unneeded. The windows inventors were completely inexperienced, and they integrated a registry into windows because they didn't know any better. The whole "unprotected" file scheme in windows completely sucks. You can be running a virus in the background and not even know it. It can access any files inside windows system folders that it wants. I still use windows, but im very cautious about what i run. Windows XP is better than windows 7, vista, or any other version of windows. It is the most stable, and most used by people.

This is kind of ranting and raving..... but i didn't want to leave anything out....lol
Back to top Go down
digital_ruler
Regular
Regular
digital_ruler

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I will branch this into a new thread Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?   Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redfaction on ubuntu is it possible ?
Page 1 of 1